Protecting vulnerable children & adults

What Is Abuse? 

Abuse is behaviour that can lead to harm or distress; for exampe hitting, pushing, bullying, stealing, neglect, or sexual activity without consent.

It can happen to both men, women and children, and in many different places.

It is carried out by many different people, but it's often someone known and trusted.

Abuse is wrong and should not happen

Recognise it and report it

If you think someone is being abused or you think their safety is at risk, then it is important to tell someone.

Where a crime has been committed or if you're worried about someone's immediate safety, contact the Police by dialling 999.

Otherwise you should report your concens to a county council social work team.


Reporting child abuse

To report concerns about a child, please contact the First Response Team.

Phone: 0800 131 3126 (free from a landline)
Fax: 01785 854223
Text:07773 792016
Online:Request a service for a child/young person
Minicom:01785 277309
Post:First Response Team, Wedgwood Building, Tipping Street Stafford, ST16 2DH 

A trained member of staff will be available to help you between 8:00am - 8:00pm, Monday-Friday (excluding Bank Holidays). To report a concern outside of these hours, please contact the Emergency Duty Service.

Reporting abuse of a vulnerable adult

To report concerns about a vulnerable adult please:

Phone: 0845 604 2719
Fax: 01785 276026

A trained member of staff will be available to help you between 8:30am - 5:00pm, Monday-Thursday (excluding Bank Holidays) and 08:30am - 4:30pm Fridays To report a concern outside of these hours, please contact the Emergency Duty Service.

Find out more and get further guidance on reporting abuse of a vulnerable adult

Reporting abuse out of hours - the Emergency Duty Service

If you have a concern about the safety of a child or vulnerable adult and need to report it overnight, over a weekend or on a Bank Holiday, contact the Emergency Duty Service:

Phone: 0845 6042886
Fax: 01785 277321
Text:07773 792016


Can I remain anonymous?

You will be asked about your own details but as a member of the public, you can choose to remain anonymous.

What will happen after I've reported my concerns?

What happens next depends on the seriousness of the situation.

In response to a call, trained staff will carry out a careful and sensitive enquiry in line with locally agreed procedures.

The information provided will be discussed with other agencies including the police. Where you have reported a concern about a child or young person, the information will also become part of the child's electronic record.

Meetings may be held to agree what will happen next. Information and advice will be offered so that choices can be made and help given.

Other sources of advice

Staffordshire Police, non Emergency0300 123 4455
Crimestoppers   0800 555 111

NSPCC Helpline

0808 800 5000
Action on Elder Abuse0808 808 8141
Care Quality Commission (CQC)


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website